Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A book,A week # 5 " Peace Pilgrim, her life and work in her own words - compiled by some of her friends"

     
               I am fond of old books, that smell like history. My dad happened to have bought this book about a quarter century ago, and i accidently found it when i was looking out for something else.I read the backcover and reckoned, its something else.
              Peace pilgrim originally called Mildred Lisette Norman, walked more than a 40000 kms for peace in a span of 28 years.She refered to herself only as Peace Pilgrim, people were always curious to get to know her real name, but she wouldnt bulge. This Modern American saint followed a vow "remain a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of peace, walking until given shelter and fasting until given food."
The only possessions were her blue tunic that read peace pilgrim, and a few clothes on her back along with a few items in her pockets.She wouldnt even ask anybody for food or shelter, she was a lone woman, walking her way across America. She started walking when she was 45 years old and she walked untill she died. She died in a road accident while she was crossing America for the seventh time.
              The book is very inspirational. I read it a few months back, and i learned alot from it, but the only thing that i follow from this book is that i am not going to hurt myself anymore, and am following it without fail. Trust me nothing, no thing hurts me anymore, and whenever i am on the verge of getting hurt or about to be depressed i just think of these lines from this book, she says " I just stopped hurting myself. Now someone could do the meanest thing to me and I would feel deep compassion for this out-of-harmony person, this sick person, who is capable of doing mean things. I certainly would not hurt myself by a wrong reaction of bitterness or anger. You have complete control over whether you will be psychologically hurt or not, and anytime you want to, you can stop hurting yourself. "
                When you sit and think and analyse the quotation above, everything seems to be clear, and everything falls in the right place. Say, someone is mean to you, swears at you, talks ill about you, You get hurt, only if you keep thinking about it,or swear back,talk ill about the other person and only when you give importance to the whole issue. The words that come out of others mouth, is not going to hurt you, but you thinking of it repeatedly and trying to find ways to hurt the other person, is the real blow that is going to hurt you, so nobody in this world can hurt you, but only you. It is very difficult to follow , and not react to mean people, but if you start practising harmony, life will seem better and happier. Exhibit A, myself.!!
               The book is deep, and it can be boring at times for certain people, if you find it boring, you shouldnt be reading it cause you are not ready to read it yet, you will need a certain maturity level to finish reading the book.

CONCLUSION: The book is not for everyone. You might either learn a lot or fall asleep! :-P i sure learned an important lesson.There are some religious content init, that i ignored. Overall its SENSITIVE and MOVING !!

4 comments:

Mohammed Nafees said...

Abhi.. The follwong lines are already decorating my cubicle at job... Its keeping me cool.. :) " I just stopped hurting myself. Now someone could do the meanest thing to me and I would feel deep compassion for this out-of-harmony person, this sick person, who is capable of doing mean things. I certainly would not hurt myself by a wrong reaction of bitterness or anger. You have complete control over whether you will be psychologically hurt or not, and anytime you want to, you can stop hurting yourself. "

Thanks for posting this..!!

ABI said...

pleasure is all mine nafees and i feel like a messenger now :P :P

Nafees said...

Keep doing ur duty.. Ther are many who need to benefit from it :P

ABI said...

oie,, stop triping on me now.. :P and i need a favor,mail me jenny's mail id... ok? i totally lost track of her.. :(